When this trim level of the Explorer was released I thought to myself "Self,...this is so good it could be its own line as its so far ahead of the rest pushing into the luxury SUV category". I was right and its hard to "review" this as you have to experience it.
I could give you a laundry list of specs, and there are many including the standard 3.5l Ecoboost with All Wheel Drive, but this Explorer Platinum is more than the sum of its parts. It really rivals luxury SUV's in terms of comfort, convenience and performance.
Walking up to this car, discreet badging lets you know its a "platinum". The unique mesh grill in a satin finish, LED headlamps and unique 20" wheels set it apart from its lesser siblings. Opening the door the aroma of thick leather and real wood welcomes you in. The unique to Platinum quilted leather begs you to snuggle in and enjoy pure luxury. They beg you to come in and go for a nice cruise.
This Explorer Platinum starts with a push of a button and is nearly silent. Only when you press it to merge onto the freeway do you notice this beast has some power behind it. Subtle rumble and a steady authoritative rush to the speed limit lets you know this is not your average Explorer.
Standard features galore in the Platinum take the pain from many different driving tasks. Its luxury and creature comforts first with this SUV. There are so many luxury touches its hard to enumerate them all, those that stand out are:
- Nirvana leather-wrapped instrument panel, armrests and door bolsters
- Wood-trimmed, leather-wrapped and heated steering wheel
- 10-inch digital instrument cluster
- Premium 500-watt Sony audio system with Live Acoustics™ and Clear Phase™ technologies
- 3.5-liter EcoBoost® V6 engine
- Sync 3 with WiFi
- Adaptive cruise control with collision warning and brake support
- Active park assist for parallel and perpendicular parking, lane-keeping system