Friday, March 27, 2015

2015 Ford Edge - quick road trip review





I recently got the chance to drive the new 2015 Ford Edge and I was impressed.  IMPRESSED!

I don't use that word lightly, especially with non-car automobiles.  I'm a car guy for crying out loud, and this cross-over made me stop for a bit and rethink and adjust my opinion on them.

First impression as you walk up the edge is that is a very organic flowing machine.  Lots of lines, curves and sex appeal.  Gone is the slab slided straight edged body style of the first generation.  Add in LED lights all over the place and the trapezoidal grill and you have an entirely new vehicle, yet familiar to the first generation.

The version I drove in a lap around Arcadia (SGV, the 626 to you neophytes) just added to my overall impression of the vehicle. Pep and power in regular driving with the 2.0l EcoBoost was ample for keeping up with the urban traffic flow.  Little engine or road noise entered the cabin.  Ditto road dimples and bumps didn't intrude and interrupt the ride.  Very solid, but not sloppy with the handling.

Handling..I got to do that on a closed circuit track.  Its nearest competitor the Toyota Highlander Limited couldn't keep up.  The Edge inspired confidence and dared you to push it a little harder in the corners.  AND it still rode really nice doing that.  The folks at Ford nailed it with this CUV.

The interior bits are significantly upgraded on the 2015 Edge.  Single needle tailored leather seats are comfy and I really appreciated the cooled seats option on the blistering hot day I drove the car.  Great soft touch materials abound.  The redundant knobs for the infotainment have solid feeling knobs.  Its all got a high end quality feel

Sync/MyFord Touch is also available in the upper end models as standard equipment.  It works really nicely.  I'm hot, I'm cold, Directions home all work like a charm.  Sync 3 rolls out next year and it will be a significant upgrade over this system...more able to understand diction differences, more commands and an easier user interface.

Mileage...this isn't a biggy for buyers at the moment as we in the L.A area are still enjoying gas a good $1.10 cheaper than the 4.39 of January.  But you know as well these cheap prices are just a fluke and eventually OPEC will put the screws to us again and voila back over $4/gallon.  Then Mileage matters and the Edge rocks out some solid numbers.  The 2.0L EcoBoost showed an indicated 22.3 MPG in a loop of urban driving.  The 2.7l Ecoboost on the TRACK showed an indicated 19 (as a comparison the Toyota Highlander had an indicated 7.9 which is the worst I've ever seen at one of these events).






No comments:

Post a Comment